Text by: Shalene Rivera
Top-of-the-line skin care products, check. Monthly facial treatments and body scrubs, check. More than our skin care arsenal and our frequent trips to the spa, it is important that we clean our bodies from within to maintain healthy, youthful skin.
Our skin’s texture, elasticity, and overall health depends heavily on our diet. WH advisor Lisa Drayer, R.D., author of The Beauty Diet said, “Unless your skin is getting the nutrients from food that it needs, it just won’t look its best.” We need to eat at least 3 servings of fruits and vegetables everyday, regardless of our age. If we think that we are not getting enough nutrients from our meals everyday, juicing fresh fruits and vegetables will allow us to take in the necessary vitamins and minerals in large quantities.
These nutrients will cleanse, heal, and renew our cells, making our body systems in sync and our skin more supple and glowing. Today is the perfect time to jump on the juicing bandwagon because it is not just a health fad but a real healthy pursuit. A simple juice recipe includes carrots, apples, and celery. Not only does it taste good, it is also loaded with vitamins and antioxidants.
- Carrots have high levels of beta carotene (which transforms into Vitamin A inside the body), an antioxidant responsible for preventing and reversing cell damage. In essence, carrots help slow down skin aging.
- Apples, on the other hand, also contains skin-friendly nutrients, including Vitamin C and copper. Vitamin C helps with collagen production (our skin’s natural barrier) and copper helps prevent skin cancer by producing enough amount of melanin, the brown pigment in our skin which provides us sun protection. Apples also have skin brightening and toning properties, especially the green ones.
- Celery is naturally salty so a small stalk is enough to blend with your juice. It has powerful anti-cancer properties and it keeps our skin cells hydrated. The antioxidants in celery also prevent a number of skin disorders at bay, including acne.
- Ginger is a common spice used in quite a number of Asian dishes but did you know that you can also add it to your juice concoctions? It contains around 40 antioxidant compounds that help preserve the youthful appearance of the skin by removing toxins and stimulating skin cell circulation. It also has antiseptic and cleansing agents, which helps to keep skin clear and blemish-free.
- Root vegetables, including carrots and celery, are low in fat and high in natural sugars and fibers. A root crop that has countless of health benefits some Filipinos are unfamiliar with is yacon. Yacon looks like sweet potatoes but its taste is similar to apples. It is known for regulating blood sugar levels and reducing hypertension. It also acts as a powerful diuretic which helps eliminate harmful toxins in our body through urination. For skin care, yacon is packed with antioxidants which help fight free radicals and promote skin rejuvenation. Add yacon roots to smoothies and juices regularly to get these health benefits and maintain a clear and luminous skin.
Juice Cleanse for Vibrant Skin
Adding freshly-squeezed juices to your everyday lifestyle is one of the best ways to improve your skin. Start to include them in your diet (as a supplement to your meals) using a decent juicer machine and stocking up a bunch of good fruits and veggies from your local food market or grocery. Boost your mornings with a glass of fruit juice, or chug down a half glass before each meal. Stick to this daily ritual to ensure that your body gets all the nutrients it needs to perform properly.
Use only clean and fresh produce with a variety of colors. As far as juicing is concerned, make sure that you get the freshest produce, and take that extra mile to buy organic. Organic produce are void of synthetic pesticides and chemical fertilizers. The reason why you have committed yourself to juicing is to remove the toxins in your body so it is not logical to put more back in. If in case you do not always get to buy organic (because they cost more than the regulars), make sure that you wash your fruits and veggies properly. It is also recommended that you choose from a wide color spectrum of fruits and vegetables. Different colors reflect a variety of nutrients so make your juices colorful.
One hundred percent (100%) pure juice is always best but if you want to add more liquid, use cucumber or coconut water (buko juice). A cucumber is 90 percent water, so it helps keep our skin cool and hydrated. The secret to younger looking skin is moisturization so make sure that you also hydrate from within. Our very own buko juice also has significant anti-aging properties that fight skin aging. Regular drinking of fresh coconut water also balances your skin’s pH levels and keeps your skin’s connective tissues healthy and strong.
Benefits of Juicing
- Instant nutrient boost. Nutrients in liquefied juice and vegetables are easier to absorb and metabolize.
- Body systems working efficiently. Detoxifying helps eliminate accumulated toxins through the intestines, kidneys, and skin.
- More nutrient intake. Fresh, raw produce is more nutritious because cooking reduces nutrients in food.
- A well-balanced diet. Juicing allows you to eat a variety of fruits and vegetables that don’t appear regularly in your menu.
- Improved mental and emotional health. Fresh fruits and vegetables contain powerful enzymes to elevate your mood and boost your concentration.
- Healthy, glowing skin. Regular juicing helps maintain your skin’s healthy glow.
Juicing is definitely more than just a social health trend, it is a lifestyle that we all should embrace. You can whip up your own juice recipes at home or you can try on a few cleansing programs available in the market. Start your juicing routine today and feel the difference a glass of fresh juice can make for your body, and for your skin.